Fiero Setup GuideHow to kickoff with Fiero an make it a smashing success.
Let’s have an amazing kickoff with Fiero
Your school or library has decided to sign up with Fiero and bring coding opportunities to your community. Very exciting! This page will walk you through everything you need to know to make Fiero a success in your context. If you need any help along the way, don’t hesitate to reach out and talk with us.
Step 1: Create Your Fiero Plan
Fiero provides three unique ways to engage with our product and services:
- Digital Resource
- Code Clubs (classroom)
Our most successful library and school partners create a plan that includes all three categories. They’ll add Fiero to their website and promote it as a digital resource, they’ll run one or more code clubs, and they’ll promote our contests.
Action Item: Take a moment to choose how Fiero is going to be adopted in your context.
Step 2: Digital Resource Setup
Generate Your Direct URL Link
Set up a direct link to Fiero that you can use on your website, emails, social media posts, or in any other digital context. This link is how you will authenticate library card holders.
To get your direct link, use the Direct Link tool contact your EBSCO rep, or contact EBSCO support at connect.ebsco.com
Add Fiero to Your Website
Feature Fiero on your library’s website. Don’t be shy to add it to multiple pages or categories. These are the common pages Fiero ends up on:
- Education / e-Learning
- Technology / STEM
Consider adding Fiero to any “Featured Resources” areas on your website for the initial launch.
Action Item: Take a moment to build your unique link and coordinate with your webmaster to get Fiero added.
Step 3: Prepare for Code Clubs
Using Fiero in your programming or classroom settings is a great way to maximize your Fiero subscription. Fiero provides all the training and support so anyone can run a code club – no coding expertise required.
The training is web-based and takes about 4 hours to complete.
A word about programs
In many ways, programs are the life-blood of a successful Fiero implementation. These are the truly unique opporunities that only libraries can offer. With that in mind, here are a couple suggestions for you to consider.
- Start multiple code clubs.
- Youth/teen clubs
- Adult clubs (yes – we’ve seen these work successfully!)
- We don’t need a coding expert – just someone who is good with kids. Often times libraries won’t start code clubs because they don’t have anyone on staff that considers themselves a coding expert. With Fiero, all we need is someone who cares about the kids. We’ll take care of the rest. So as you think about who should run code clubs, think about the people who can connect well with kids.
- Home school code clubs. Home school groups love using Fiero! You can empower them to use Fiero effectively in their group by sharing the Training Center link with them.
- Set a goal of how many code clubs you’d like to start and run in the next programming season.
- Reach out to the people you think should run these clubs and get them on board.
- Reach out to any home school groups that you know of.
Step 4: Contest Prep
Fiero organizes and runs several coding contests a year. These are free for your students to enter. They last 6-8 weeks, and students have the chance of winning code-able robots and toys.
Fiero creates all the marketing and promotional material you’ll need, but we do need your help to get the word out to your community! Access the details below.
- Coordinate with your marketing department to get the contests on the marketing schedule.
- Coordinate with whomever is running your code clubs to make sure they’re aware of the contests and can integrate them into their club.
Step 5: Promote Promote Promote!
Fiero really does much of the heavy lifting to bring coding to your community. Throughout all three categories above, the common theme of where we need your help is marketing and promotion. This is an amazing resource, but if no one knows about it, it’s not going to do much good. We have created many marketing resources to make promotion much easier for you.
EBSCO Promotion Kit
Graphics, tweets, bookmarks, and more!
Fiero Graphic Library
New graphics added monthly.
Digital Marketing Plan
Marketing content specifically for code clubs
Creative Marketing Ideas
3 out of the box marketing ideas
Contest Marketing Details
Graphics designed specifically for contests.
- Coordinate with your marketing department and come up with a marketing schedule. The most successful libraries promote Fiero digitally (email and social media) at least once a month.
- Coordinate with team members to make sure code clubs are being promoted and contests are being promoted.
- Promote Promote Promote!